It was established as a District Head
quarters Hospital in 1848 in a rented tiled house over the Madras Trunk
Road. It grew in stages, changed locations and in 1954 was upgraded
to a Teaching Hospital and named Govt. Gen. Hospital, Guntur occupying
an area of 10.85 aces. The bed strength was 12 in 1861 and over the years
it has been increased to the present strength of 1038. On an average more
than 1100 patients stay in the hospital as in patients including the floor
patients. About 4-5 thousand people throng the O.P departments daily for
medical relief. It is said the clinical material that one gets here is
of the highest order.
The hospital though located in a busy center provides a very
calm environment inside. The numerous trees and gardens help achieve this
serenity. The hospital has a wide popularity. Even people from far off
districts visit it for treatment.
The hospital is adequately equipped with nine surgical theatres
& delivery rooms. There are on the whole 24 departments functioning.
Although the departments are adequately equipped, there remains much to
be done to upgrade them to the changing trends in medical care.
A diet canteen has been functioning since 1987 for the benefit
of both patients & doctors. A generator to meet the frequent load shedding
& an incinerator are available. The Central Sterilization Department
is functioning to meet the demands of all departments. A blood bank with
testing facility for HIV is also in operation. A post office and bank are
in the hospital complex to serve both the needs of the patients and the
staff. Lift facility makes life easier for disabled patients. A Nephrology
Department was recently introduced in 1993. The hospital houses the internee’s
quarters apart from the Nursing School. In spite of some deficiencies the
hospital is rendering a yeomen’s service to the people of the State.